Friday 11 April 2014

Happy Old Bags Reunion

I consider myself to be lucky.  Very lucky.  I have the most wonderful set of girlfriends whose ages range from 30 something through to 60 something.  They come from all walks of life, some are old chums from my school days, there are a few who share my hobbies and interests, others I have kept in touch with from the various jobs I've had, and latterly the lovely colleagues from my present job.

It's the latter that ended up with the dubious group title of Happy Old Bags.  I'm not sure which one of us came up with it but it formulated years ago and still makes us smile, even now.  Just to quickly put you in picture, there is a shortage of parking spaces around our campus, therefore it was necessary to arrive extra early for work to get parked.  This in turn meant we'd gather up in the office with at least 30 minutes to spare, so whoever was in first would have the kettle on ready and waiting for the rest to arrive.  Over coffee before work we'd put the world to rights, have a little moan here and there, and very importantly share a confidence or two that you can only do with trusted friends. That said, most likely we'd be laughing at some story one of us had to relate because we were (still are)  terrible pervs.  Age has no barrier to women perving! No-one could mention Hugh Jackman or a bare chested David Gandy without 'phwoar' noises being emitted round the room followed up by a plethora of smutty innuendo's.  We'd set off snorting with laughter once again and I think it's this that earned us the name 'Happy'.  We're still wondering about 'Old Bags'.  You might have a theory on that!

Hugh Jackman

David Gandy

A few of the group have left for reasons of redundancy or retirement, but we gather up occasionally for a gossip-fest and leisurely lunch and this is what we'll be doing on Tuesday next week.  It's the Easter break and we all work term-time only (one of the perks of working in education) so it's an ideal opportunity for the Happy Old Bags to convene.  I know we'll all come away with our spirits lifted and glad we met up.  It's a known fact that laughter is the best medicine, and I know that better than most.






1 comment:

  1. This is great and really captures the essence of good friends and how you can just be yourself with them.
    Have a good Happy Old Bags day out.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always delighted to get comments and feedback. Keep them coming please!