Tuesday 28 January 2014

My domestic day

I get Tuesdays off work which is great.  Normally I like to get out and about with my camera and do a bit of gentle walking.  My foot is really quite comfortable in my hiking boots because there's plenty of support.

Today however, has been proper dismal with husband's mood to match.  I've switched off from him muttering and grumbling to himself as he frustratedly bangs the keyboard of our desk PC housed in one of the bedrooms.  I suspect there's a spreadsheet involved, so that is definitely my cue to bugger off out.

I went for a self indulgent facial with the intention of calling at Morrison's on the way back for cake ingredients.  While the facial was wonderful and I was all relaxed and away with the fairies, my hair having being tied up in a headband, was sticking up uncontrollably at bizarre angles. I hunted frantically in my bag for a hairbrush but it was at home in my work bag.  I ran my fingers through it hoping to restore some law and order but I still looked like a scarecrow.  Hoping not to bump into anyone I knew in the supermarket I hastily shopped for my cake stuff and went home.  Husband in slightly better mood when I arrived, so clearly the spreadsheet behaved itself.

Anyway, here's the recipe.  It's been done and now out of the oven, smelling absolutely gorgeous! I have The National Trust to thank for this.

Lyveden Courgette, Lime and Ginger Cake

  • Serves:8
  • Preparation time:30 minutes
  • Cooking time:50 minutes
Try this recipe yourself © National Trust
Try this recipe yourself

Ingredients

• 12oz Self Raising Flour
• 2 Tsp ginger
• 9oz Caster Sugar
• 3 Eggs
• 6 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
• Zest of 1 ½ limes (finely grated)
• Juice of 1 lime
• 9oz Courgettes (coarsely grated)
• 2 Tsp baking powder
Topping
• 14oz Icing Sugar (sifted)
• 3 Tbsp Lime juice
• Rind of ½ lime (finely grated)

Method

To make a 9” cake (serves 12 to 14)
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180C. Grease a 9” cake tin. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Line the base with greaseproof paper.
Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar with a wooden spoon. Put the eggs, oil, lime zest and juice into a separate bowl and pour over the flour mixture. Stir until well blended. Add to this the grated courgettes, taking care not to over mix. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a warm skewer inserted comes out of the cake clean. Transfer the tin to a wire rack to cool slightly. Turn out the cake onto the wire rack and leave to cool completely.
For the topping, combine the icing sugar with the lime juice and zest. Spread over the top of the cake allowing it to drizzle down the sides.

2 comments:

  1. It looks good! Popping over because I see you've been visiting my blog over the last few days. Thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. You're blog is a great read! I hope you'll pop back and see me again :-)

      Delete

I'm always delighted to get comments and feedback. Keep them coming please!